Thailand is known for its majestic temples, busy cities, and delicious street food. Many have been traveling and going back to The Land of Smiles not just for its beautiful beaches, but also for its authentic and tasty cuisines.
One of the many reasons why people have become interested in visiting and experiencing Thailand is the Thai Boys’ Love (BL) series that rose to fame this year. A popular one among Filipinos is 2gether: The Series which stars Bright Vachirawit and Win Metawin. In it, the country’s culture and love for food are put in the spotlight.
However, a vacation to Thailand is not possible right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic which has disrupted tourism all over the world. While the vacation has to wait, that doesn’t mean that you also need to wait to have a taste of Thailand!
We give you three Thai dishes that are sure to make you feel like you’re actually there. (Read: Stock up on these 5 vegetables that won’t spoil easily)
When you hear the name Thailand, one of the first things you think of will probably be Pad Thai. This noodle dish is a signature in many Thai restaurants and a staple during meals. And now you can make it a home and enjoy it with your family!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 10 ounces thin rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3 green onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- chopped peanuts, extra crushed red pepper flakes, lime wedges, for toppings
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup tamarind concentrate
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Follow the recipe here.
Thai Red Curry with Vegetables
For rice lovers out there, this is one delicious dish you can eat and pair with your rice! It also has lots of vegetables so health-conscious eaters can also eat this mouthwatering dish!
All you need are the following:
- 1 1/4 cups brown jasmine rice or long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger (about a 1-inch nub of ginger)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin 2-inch long strips
- 1 yellow, orange, or green bell pepper, sliced into thin 2-inch long strips
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 tbsps Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (14 ounces) regular coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups packed thinly sliced kale (tough ribs removed first), preferably the Tuscan/lacinato/dinosaur variety
- 1 1/2 tsps coconut sugar or turbinado (raw) sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsps rice vinegar or fresh lime juice
- handful of chopped fresh basil or cilantro, optional red pepper flakes, optional sriracha or chili garlic sauce
Here’s the link to the recipe: Cookie and Kate
Spicy Garlic Thai Shrimp
Attention, seafood lovers! This Thai shrimp dish is perfect for you. It’s the right mix of spicy, salty, and sweet, which is sure to give you a burst of flavors in every bite.
Listed below are the ingredients:
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- olive oil
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsps fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tbsps of sesame or olive oil
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
Get a copy of the recipe here.