The COVID-19 pandemic has brought out the bayanihan spirit in many of us: donation drives, community kitchens, and many more have been initiated by local government units (LGUs) and regular citizens alike to help those greatly affected by the pandemic and quarantine.
One of the sectors that have received the outpouring of help from fellow Filipinos is the healthcare industry—healthcare workers have been working non-stop, risking their safety just to help those who are infected by the new coronavirus. These frontliners have instantly become our modern-day heroes and have easily gained the support of the general public, small businesses, and even big corporations, just like San Miguel Corporation (SMC).
A Helping Hand
San Miguel Corporation has been continuously offering a hand during the pandemic in any way they can—they have even established food distribution centers for those who are struggling to put food on the table during the quarantine. (Read: How Do Health Workers Ensure Their and Their Patients’ Safety?)
And now, they are adding another initiative to the list as the company recently provided 5,000 frontliners in Cebu with a 2 million pesos-worth of insurance from Cocolife.
“We started this initiative several months ago, at the height of COVID-19 cases in Cebu, when our medical front liners there were really having a hard time. Many of them were also testing positive for the coronavirus. We wanted to do something to help protect them, and to show our solidarity and support for them,” said SMC president Ramon S. Ang.
I’m happy to report that we have completed providing some 5,000 medical front liners in Cebu with life insurance of…
Ang adds that while saving lives is still the main goal in these times, taking care of our doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers should also be prioritized. Hence, SMC has taken the extra step by paying for all the frontliners’ insurance premiums under this initiative.
As of writing, the frontliners who have been insured came from the following hospitals in Cebu:
- Perpetual Soccour Hospital (459)
- Cebu Doctors University Hospital (254)
- Southwestern University Medical Center (36)
- St. Vincent General Shopital (99)
- Mendero Medical Center (77)
- Visayas Community Medical Center (62)
- Adventist Hospital Cebu (189)
- Chong Hua Hospital (1,303)
- Cebu South General Hospital (125)
- Cebu Velez General Hospital (143)
- Cebu City Medical Center (12)
- Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (65)
- Talisay District Hospital (30)
- Arc Hospital (44)
- Cebu North (91)
- Mactan Doctors’ Hospital (155)
- Allegiant Regional Care (305)
- Univeristy of Cebu Medical Center (278)