Did you know that today, 20th of September, is Pepperoni Pizza Day?
You read that right! People from around the world celebrate this day as it recognizes one of the most iconic and original pizza flavors, pepperoni! The iconic pizza flavor was created by Italian-Americans when they thought of using cured and smoked pork and beef sausages and put it on pizza dough.
So how do you celebrate Pepperoni Pizza Day? It would normally consist of going to a pizzeria with family and friends and getting a slice of pepperoni pizza for everyone. But with the COVID-19 pandemic and quarantine, going out especially for non-essential things is a big no-no for now. (Read: New ‘Table-To-Farm’ Project Helps Aetas in Zambales Grow Their Own Food)
So, the options you have are to either get pizza delivered or make it a way to bond with your family by baking one at home! In case you choose the latter, we compiled three of the best pizza recipes that you can try with your loved ones!
Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
The center of attention every September 20. The pepperoni pizza is what we celebrate on this day every year, so it’s already a given that this will be our top option for the celebration!
- 16 ounces pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (see below)
- 18-20 slices pepperoni
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, optional
- Flour for rolling and shaping dough
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
Follow the recipe here.
Hawaiian Pizza Recipe
Hawaiian pizza has been at the center of the pineapples on pizza debate for quite a while. If you’re a “no-pineapples-on-pizza” kind of person, then this recipe might not be the one for you. But if you’re among those who are on the other side of the debate, read on to make your own pizza with pineapples at home!
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast
- 1 1/2 tsps sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water 120° to 130°F
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces bacon or ham, diced
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple, drained and diced
The procedure can be found here.
Vegan Pizza Recipe
This pizza is for anyone who prefers eating plant-based food and tries to avoid meat and animal products. It’s easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find!
For the crust:
- 1 tsp active yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm water
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup flour unbleached white or a combination of white and whole wheat
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or other herbs
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder, optional
For the toppings:
- Red pizza sauce of choice
- Sliced bell pepper
- Sliced red onion
- Thinly sliced white mushrooms
- Sliced zucchini or other sliced veggies of choice
- Sliced kalamata olives
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Vegan parmesan
- Pepper flakes
Check out the steps here.