The way we celebrate occasions has definitely changed because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the stay at home orders imposed. But it hasn’t stopped us from celebrating important dates and milestones in the comfort of our own home. Many have celebrated by ordering food from their favorite restaurant and having it delivered, some have held parties over video call, and some have even decorated their homes to commemorate the special day!
The ‘new normal’ might just be this: celebrating at home, joining the party through video calls, and just ordering food. And it’s totally okay if we’re talking about keeping ourselves and others safe, but we can still spice it up by making it more personal and special!
My Pope gives you three dishes and desserts you can definitely DIY and serve at your next quarantine celebration. (Read: Putting a party together? We gathered the best advice from expert event planners!)
The pimiento-cheese cake is a twist on the merienda favorite pimiento sandwiches. And for this recipe, you actually get to make your own pimiento sandwich! You won’t be needing the bottled ones for this.
The ingredients you need are the following:
- For the frosting
- 4 strips bacon, for garnish
- 12 ounces white Cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup yellow Cheddar, grated
- 1 jar pimentos, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp BBQ seasoning*
- 4 chopped scallions, for garnish
- For the batter
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsps melted butter, plus 1/4 tbsp cold butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp seeded and chopped jalapeno
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces green chiles, drained and chopped
- BBQ seasoning
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups paprika
- 3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder
Check out the recipe here.
Burgers are mouthwatering treats no matter what flavor or style, but it can be difficult to make actual burgers at home. So we found this recipe for mini burgers that uses white loaf bread and is super instagrammable!
Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 3 slices cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tbsps prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 4 baby dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 3 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
Follow the recipe here.
Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
If you want something fun and pretty to look at, this is perfect for you! It’s also easier to make and bake compared to a regular cake, and it gives a fun twist to cakes and ice creams!
The ingredients are as follows:
- For the mini cake
- 1 package vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 24 ice cream cones (about 3 inches tall)
- For the frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- For the glaze
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles
The recipe can be found here.