Sunday, February 28, 2021
Home Latest News Travel Guidelines: 3 Things You Need to Know

Travel Guidelines: 3 Things You Need to Know

When should you secure a travel authority, and where can you travel without one?

With the majority of the country’s cities and provinces now under looser quarantine restrictions, many have been wondering if travel for leisure is now allowed. And if so, who can travel to where—and what are the required passes or certifications?

This comes as some people have reported that in some areas, they are still being asked for passes, employment certifications, or IDs with addresses for verification just like before. Meanwhile, in other areas, no specific documentation is required. (Read: What is the difference between MECQ, GCQ, and MGCQ?)

To help you better understand travel restrictions in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), My Pope has gathered some guidelines from various sources that were approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Disease (IATF). Read on!

Travel Authority

A police officer inspects a motorist at a checkpoint along España Boulevard in Manila on the first working day of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) on May 18, 2020. (Photo from George Calvelo / ABS-CBN News)

Travel authorities may or may not be needed depending on one’s purpose for travel and their destination. These may be obtained from the chief of your local city or municipal police station (if you are traveling within the same region), the director of the district, provincial, or city police unit (if you are traveling outside your region), or the director of any higher police office who will be able to grant you travel authority.

Below are the specific situations that will require you to secure a travel authority:

  • Leaving Metro Manila to attend to an emergency
  • Leaving your province to attend to an emergency
  • If you’re a locally stranded individual (LSI) going home to your province (from another province or Metro Manila)
  • If you’re an LSI going back home to Metro Manila from another province

On the other hand, these are situations in which no travel authority is required:

  • Attending to an emergency within your province or city
  • Attending to an emergency within Metro Manila
  • Travel due to a critical emergency, including but not limited to treatments such as chemotherapy or dialysis, or other life-or-death situations
  • If you’re an APOR or authorized person outside of residence (APORs are those working in a different city or province, or are working in industries that are allowed under MGCQ and GCQ guidelines, e.g. doctors, nurses, soldiers, etc.)

Quarantine Pass

PASSES. A man presents his quarantine pass and ID. (Photo by Darren Langit / Rappler)

Previously, during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), only those with quarantine passes—which were given out by the barangays—were allowed to go out and do errands. But under GCQ and MGCQ, those without quarantine passes may already go outside with the exception of:

Outbound Flights

Photos from Point Me / AirAsia

Non-essential flights to other countries have recently been allowed by the IATF, given that passengers will abide by the following conditions:

  • The country they will be going to allows Filipinos to enter (based on the destination country’s travel guidelines and restrictions, quarantine protocols).
  • They must fill out a declaration form that will mean they acknowledge all risks with traveling at this time, including delays in flights.
  • Once they go back to the Philippines, they will follow the strict protocol and quarantine procedures and agree to take the RT-PCR test. (Read: What’s the difference between the PCR and the Rapid Test Kits?)
  • They should present their booked roundtrip tickets (if they are on tourist visas) and travel and health insurance..


Most Recent