“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Many say this and stick to it for most of their lives because it does give a boost in the morning and the energy to start the day. It also makes kids excited to wake up in the morning because they know they’ll be served with their favorite cereal or favorite ulam before going to school.
But aside from cereals and silog (sinangag and itlog), many people, including adults, look forward to having pancakes for breakfast. Who wouldn’t? It’s fluffy, sweet, delicious, and you can even pair it with something savory or sweet! But sometimes, we get tired of the same old taste of regular pancakes no matter how delicious it is. (Read: You can now make your own McDonald’s hotcake at home!)
Luckily, we found some recipes that makes use of pancake mix that puts a twist to the pancakes we’ve grown to love. (Read: Three My Pope-approved ways to stay healthy during a quarantine)
Recipe from Booky
- Pancake mix
- whole milk
- Ziploc bag
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- sugar, optional
- maple syrup, optional
- Prepare the pancake mix according to package directions.
- Put the batter in a resealable back or a food grade plastic bag. Cut off the tip as you would in a piping bag.
- In a pan, heat the butter and cover the entire surface with it.
- Squeeze dots of pancake batter into the pan and let it cook.
- Once you’re done with the entire batter, place all the cooked ‘pancakes’ into a bowl.
- Pour milk into the bowl and top it with maple syrup and a slice of butter.
Recipe from Tasty
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup mini pepperoni slice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 18 cherry tomatoes, or grape tomato
- 2 tbsps heavy cream
- 2 tbsps grated parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- In a bowl, combine the pancake mix, butter, and 1 egg. Mix until fully combined and has a batter-like consistency.
- Scoop one tablespoon of dough and place it in one muffin slot. Do this until you have filled the entire muffin tray.
- Sprinkle the basil, oregano, pepperoni, garlic powder, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese onto each muffin.
- In a large cup, mix 2 eggs, milk, and heavy cream until fully combined.
- Pour the cream mixture on top of each muffin until everything is fully covered.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara sauce on the side.
Recipe from Rachel Ray
- 2 cups pancake mix (one that requires oil, eggs, milk)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt
- 8 hotdogs
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Mustard, optional
- Make the batter by combining the pancake mix, cornmeal, milk, and a pinch of Kosher salt. The batter should have a “tight” consistency. If it’s too tight, add some more milk.
- In a pot, heat about 4 inches deep oil to 190˚C.
- Dip the hotdogs into the batter until fully coated, then place in the hot oil.
- Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until golden brown all over.
- Serve with mayonnaise, ketchup, or mustard on the side, depending on preference.