The national government has decided to place Metro Manila, Laguna province, and Cebu City under a modified enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) until May 31.
According to the Malacanang, areas under the modified ECQ—considered high-risk areas—may allow the limited resumption of public transportation, while select industries may operate at 50% capacity. People may also leave their houses only for essential goods and work.
GCQ for 8 regions
Meanwhile, eight regions are now placed under the more relaxed General Community Quarantine (GCQ) and are considered moderate risk areas:
- Region II – Cagayan Valley (Batanes, Cagayan, Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Santiago City)
- Region III – Central Luzon (Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, Zambales, Angeles City, Olongapo City)
- Region IV-A – Calabarzon, except Laguna (Cavite, Quezon, Rizal, Batangas, Lucena City)
- Cordillera Administrative Region (Abra, Apayao, Benguet, Ifugao, Kalinga, Mountain Province, Baguio City)
- Region VII – Central Visayas, except Cebu City (Bohol, Cebu, Negros Oriental, Siquijor, Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu City)
- Region IX – Zamboanga Peninsula (Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga City, Isabela City)
- Region XI – Davao Region (Davao City, Davao de Oro, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Davao Occidental, Davao Oriental)
- Region XIII – Caraga (Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Butuan City)
Areas without Community Quarantine
The national government has also decided to lift the quarantine scheme in some regions that are deemed as “low risk” of COVID-19:
- Region I – Ilocos (Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan, Dagupan City)
- Region IV-B – Mimaropa (Marinduque, Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Romblon, Palawan, Puerto Princesa City)
- Region V – Bicol (Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Catanduanes, Masbate, Sorsogon, Legazpi City, Naga City)
- Region VI – Western Visayas (Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, lloilo, Negros Occidental, Iloilo City, Bacolod City)
- Region VIII – Eastern Visayas (Biliran, Eastern Samar, Leyte, Northern Samar, Southern Leyte, Ormoc City, Tacloban City)
- Region X – Northern Mindanao (Bukidnon, Camiguin, Lanao del Norte, Misamis Occidental, Misamis Oriental, Cagayan de Oro City)
- Region XII – Soccsksargen (North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sarangani, Sultan Kudarat, General Santos City)
- Bangasamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Cotabato City)
As of writing, Metro Manila remains to have the highest number of COVID-19 cases among all regions, with 7000 cases. Cebu City, on the other hand, is the city with most cases with 1,571 cases recorded last Sunday. The modified ECQ will take effect on May 16, 2020.