On Monday, November 8, Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno signed Executive Order No. 42 lifting the mandatory use of face shields in the city. “It’s not mandatory anymore… para naman sa ganoon, maibsan ‘yung gastusin ng mga tao,” the mayor said.
“Siguro naman sa dami ng pag-aaral sa mundo, ang face shield ay wala naman talagang bisa. Ito ay nakadadagdag lang sa basura,” he added. It is to be noted that Mayor Isko has been pushing for the lifting of the mandatory use of face shields since last year, stating the same reason that face shields are not scientifically-backed. (Read: How Effective Are Face Shields in Protecting Us From COVID-19?)
He has also previously called on establishments to entertain guests who aren’t using face shields. “I’m calling all establishments, malls, business establishments and directors. The enforcement unit has already been informed… Kailangan mapagaan natin, maibsan natin,” he said. “Ang importante naka-face mask sila.”
Lifting of mandatory use
Apart from Manila, other National Capital Region (NCR) mayors have also agreed to support Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Ano’s suggestion to stop the use of face shields except in critical areas.
According to the proposal, only ‘critical areas’ like hospitals, health centers, other medical facilities, and public transportation should have mandatory face shield use. (Read: 5 Online Stores That Sell Cute Face Masks for Christmas)
“Napag-usapan namin sa face shield. Number 1, ito ‘yung isasagot ko sa IATF na tanggalin na po ang face shields, hindi na gawing mandatory except for critical places,” Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Benhur Abalos said of the proposal.
As of writing, no formal announcement regarding the proposal has been made.