Sunday, August 9, 2020
Home Latest News Coronavirus Update: A rundown of the 22 confirmed new cases in the...

Coronavirus Update: A rundown of the 22 confirmed new cases in the Philippines

The entire Philippines, especially Metro Manila residents, are in a state of panic because the number of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (CoViD-19) cases has increased from three to 25 in a matter of days. The first three cases are all Chinese nationals who came from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak—one of them died due to the virus.

On the other hand, the 22 new cases are mostly Filipinos who didn’t have any travel history outside the country. “Contact tracing is being done for the [new] cases and samples have already been collected from close contacts,” the Department of Health (DOH) said.

 

Also Read: DOH looks into first case of locally-transmitted COVID-19

 

Confirmed Cases

Coronavirus Update: A rundown of the 22 confirmed new cases in the Philippines - image yq-philpcoronavirus-09032020 on https://www.mypope.com.ph
(Image source: The Straits Times)

 

Here is a rundown of the 22 new cases, according to DOH:

The fourth case of CoViD-19 in the Philippines is a 48-year-old Filipino male who had traveled to Japan in the past 14 days. He started showing symptoms (fever and chills) on March 3, and was confirmed to have contracted the virus on March 5. He is now admitted at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa.

The fifth patient is a 62-year-old Filipino male with hypertension and diabetes, who was reported to have had cough with phlegm starting February 25. He is now admitted to a private hospital with severe pneumonia. The patient has no recent travel history outside the Philippines.

The sixth case is a 59-year-old Filipino female who does not have travel history outside the country. She is the wife of the fifth case and is reported to have had cough since March 5. She and her husband are both admitted to a private hospital.

Case number seven is 38-year-old Taiwanese male who was reported to have had close contact with another Taiwanese national who tested positive for CoViD-19. He was said to have had diarrhea, sore throat, fever, and malaise, and tested positive on March 4 in Taiwan. He is confined at the Makati Medical Center.

The eighth patient is a 32-year-old Filipino male, a resident of Pasig City, who had traveled to Japan recently. He started showing symptoms on March 5 and is currently being treated at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig.

An 86-year-old American male is the ninth case in the Philippines. He had previously visited South Korea and USA before showing symptoms on March 1. He is known to have hypertension and is currently in the Intensive Care Unit of The Medical City in Ortigas.

The 10th case is a 57-year-old Filipino male with not travel history abroad. He is reported to have had contact with a confirmed case. The patient, a resident of Quezon City, is now confined at St. Luke’s Medical Center Quezon City.

Case number 11 is a 72-year-old Filipino male who is said to have had cough without any travel history abroad. He is admitted at The Medical City in Ortigas.

A 56-year-old Filipino male is the 12th confirmed case in the country. He went to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) before experiencing cough and fever on February 29. The patient is admitted at the Makati Medical Center.

 

Also Read: ICYMI: Here are some events that were canceled or postponed due to COVID-19

 

Fever after a travel to Australia was what prompted a 34-year-old Filipino male to get a check-up. He then became the 13th case in the country, and is confined at the Makati Medical Center.

A 46-year-old Filipino male, who reported having fever and cough, is now confined at the Makati Medical Center after testing positive for the virus. He has not reported any recent travel abroad.

Case number 15 is a 24-year-old Filipino male who tested positive for the virus after reporting a cough that started on March 1. The patient is currently at the Makati Medical Center, and authorities are determining whether he’s had travel history abroad.

A 70-year-old Filipino male reported having cough and colds, and sore throat that began on March 1. He then tested positive for CoViD-19, and was found to have been exposed to a confirmed case. He is now at the UniHealth Parañaque Hospital.

The 17th case is a 69-year-old hypertensive Filipino woman. She is also confined at the UniHealth Parañaque Hospital after testing positive for the virus. She reportedly had cough ang colds since March 1; she is also reported to have been exposed to a confirmed CoViD-19 case.

The 18th confirmed case is a 41-year-old Filipino male who reported having headaches, fever, and body malaise starting February 26. He has previously gone to Taiwan before reporting symptoms. He is admitted to the Tricity Medical Center in Pasig City.

Case number 19 is a 46-year-old Filipino female who is currently under investigation. She had no travel history abroad, but tested positive for the virus. The patient is also confined at the Tricity Medical Center.

The 20th case is a 48-year-old Filipino male who went to Japan before experiencing cough and body malaise on February 29. He is admitted to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa City.

The 21st to 24th cases are still under investigation but are said to be residents of San Juan City, Sta. Maria, Bulacan, and Project 6, Quezon City, according to President Rodrigo Duterte.

The 25th and most recent case is of a returning seaman who passed through Narita Airport in Japan, according to Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla. The patient is confined at the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine.

The DOH has so far traced 468 people who came in contact with some of the confirmed cases. Six of them are considered persons under investigation (PUI) and are currently in isolation in undisclosed health facilities. 107 have been contacted and placed on home quarantine.

 

Also Read: Good news! Pope Francis tests negative for COVID-19

 

Ready for the outbreak

Coronavirus Update: A rundown of the 22 confirmed new cases in the Philippines - image 2020_02_27_87563_1582786970._large on https://www.mypope.com.ph
Digital thermometers are being used at the entrance of several establishments. (Image source: The Jakarta Post)

 

DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III ensures the public that they are ready to respond to the CoViD-19 outbreak. “Rest assured that DOH is maximizing all channels, including coordinating with the Philippines National Police, other stakeholders and government agencies, to immediately identify, and isolate if needed, those who may have had contact with the confirmed cases,” he says.

If you suspect that you’ve been exposed to someone positive for the virus, or live in an area where there is a confirmed case of local transmission, and are experiencing symptoms such as dry cough, sore throat, and headache, you are advised to quarantine yourself at home for 14 days.

You may also contact the Department of Health in case you are experiencing severe symptoms. Get in touch with DOH at (02) 8-651-7800 local 1149 to 1150.

 

 


Text by Katie Rojas.

Subscribe now to My Pope Philippines for your daily dose of inspirational stories!

Most Recent

A Prayer for Unity When Life Feels Uncertain

The past months have brought out feelings of uncertainty and anxiety that some of us have not known before....

LOOK: Dunkin’ Releases Own Line of Coffee-Flavored Cereals

Dunkin Donuts, now simply known as Dunkin', is famous for its delicious donuts with hundreds of flavor options. There are the timeless bavarian, classic...

5 Apps for a Virtual Bonding Session With Friends and Family

Over the course of quarantine, our lives have changed drastically. Staying at home and practicing social distancing has become the “new normal,”...

A Prayer on the Feast Day of St. Dominic

St. Dominic de Guzman (1170-1221), also known as Dominic of Osma and Dominic of Caleruega, was a Spanish priest who, after witnessing the rampant...

FOLLOW US!