When shopping for food, many opt for ingredients that are easy to cook such as chicken, which doesn’t require much effort in cooking. Meanwhile, there are also others who opt for even easier to prepare food like canned goods and other instant products.
It’s true that canned and ready-to-cook items are not the healthiest option out there, but when you’re in a rush, it’s the best option there is. And let’s admit it, canned goods taste really good!
Luckily, we found recipes made with canned goods that are not just tasty, but also a bit healthier! We list down three for you for your next cooking session for lunch or work baon. (Read: How a Slight Change in Your Diet Can Help Fight Climate Change)
Spam Fried Rice
As Filipinos, we all love good fried rice or sinangag, especially for breakfast! And it’s also easy to make. But with this recipe, we level up the well-loved sinangag and make it into a meal in itself by adding Spam and mixed vegetables or pineapple. This is surely something adults and kids alike can enjoy.
Ingredients for Meat and Marinade:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar, or sugar substitute
- 1 can SPAM, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Ingredients for Rice and Veggies:
- 2 tbsps oil
- 4 cups cooked rice, at least 1 day old
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- salt, to taste
You can follow the recipe here.
Tuna and Lemon Pasta
There are times when we want pasta over rice for a particular day because it tastes good and you only need one had to eat it! So here is a pasta recipe that is easy (and quick) to make and tastes delicious.
- 350g pasta shells
- 200g pack trimmed fine beans, cut into short lengths
- 200g canned tuna in oil
- Grated zest of a lemon
- 1 heaped tbsp small capers
- generous pinch of chilli flakes
- Olive oil for drizzling, optional
Click here for the recipe.
Some people think that paella is tough to cook, but this recipe proves them wrong. This is because you can use a frozen seafood mix for it so you wouldn’t have to wait for a long time! Make this for your next lunch and your family will surely crave for more.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp each hot smoked paprika and dried thyme
- 300g paella or risotto rice
- 3 tbsp dry sherry or white wine, optional
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 900ml chicken stock
- 400g bag frozen seafood mix
- juice ½ lemon, other half cut into wedges
- handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Follow the recipe found here.