Opening Prayer for Palm Sunday
Loving God, as we step into Holy Week, we remember your triumphant entry into Jerusalem. We sing your praises, shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David.” You alone are the true King, the leader greater than all others. Even so, in your great mercy you chose to become like us, taking on human form and living among us. As we celebrate and shout “Hosanna” today, may we remember what will soon follow. Keep us faithful in word and deed, and help us to love you always. We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Prayers of Intercession
Confident that Jesus Christ hears our prayer, let us offer our petitions with open hearts.
- For Pope Francis and all church leaders: May they continue to boldly lead, offering prophetic witness to the Gospel. R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For all people in positions of leadership: May they work tirelessly for peace and justice to ensure the common good for all. R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For all families and communities, who are finding life difficult at this time: May they know the tenderness and compassion of Christ in the words and actions of those around them. R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For all who are working to care for those suffering from covid-19. May the Lord be their strength in these days. R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For all who keep essential services operating for us: may they experience respect and kindness from all whom they encounter. R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For our own needs this day: add your own prayers R/. Lord hear our prayer
- For all who have died: May they rest and rise in Christ. R/. Lord hear our prayer
We pray in the words that Jesus taught us. Our Father . . .
Loving God, We praise you in a special way today as we celebrate Palm Sunday. Be with us as we begin our journey through Holy Week that we may draw closer to you, knowing suffering and death, yet remaining hopeful in the life you promise. We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Prayers from corkandcross.org.